In observance of Thanksgiving, the
36th District Court will be CLOSED
to the public on Thursday November 26, 2015 and Friday November 27, 2015.
Felony Arraignments will be
held at the 34th District Court in Romulus. Normal
business will resume on Monday, November 30, 2015.
Search Case Information and Court
Of Prohibited Items (Amended)
of 36th District Court
Tax Garnishments (GarnIT)
The 36th District Court is one of the largest and busiest
courts in the United States. Most of the citizens of Detroit
will have their first contact with the judicial system
through the district court. For this reason, it is often
referred to as the "People's Court".
While the 36th District Court processes over 500,000 cases
each year, it is a court of limited jurisdiction. This means
that its authority is limited to only those actions that
have been defined by state law. This court has original
jurisdiction for the following actions occurring in the city
- Traffic and Ordinance Violations
- Criminal Misdemeanor Cases
- Arraignments and Preliminary Examinations for Felony Cases
- Small Claims Lawsuits for amounts up to $5,500.00
- Civil Lawsuits (other than small claims) for amounts up to
- Real Estate Matters Involving Rent and Land Contract
A chief judge presides over the Court and
oversees 30 judges and four magistrates.
A Court Administrator oversees all of the
operations of the Court and approximately